NYSCP School Safeguarding Audit 2022-2023
The North Yorkshire Safeguarding Children Partnership (NYSCP) School Safeguarding Audit provides all schools within North Yorkshire with a tool to assess their safeguarding arrangements and releated practices to ascertain whether that they have adequate arrangements in place to ensure the safeguarding and wellbeing of children and young people. There are six key reasons why schools should undertake the School Safeguarding Audit for their own purposes, these are:
- Undertaking an audit of safeguarding arrangements allows school leaders and staff to gain a better understanding of how well statutory requirements and best practice are implemented across the school.
- The audit process allows easier identification of areas for development and the creation of an action plan that can feed into the school development plan.
- Undertaking the audit provides useful information for Local Governing Bodies, Trustees and Proprietors to challenge and be assured of the arrangements they have in place, which are aligned to specified standards.
- It provides Local Governing Bodies, Trustees and Proprietors with a tool to agree and take informed actions necessary to strengthen any areas of development.
- Safeguarding is a limiting factor in Ofsted inspections and awareness of the level of safeguarding arrangements can assist schools to provide evidence to Ofsted.
- Where a school is maintained, it can help inform visits with the School Education Advisors or other such arrangements within academies and independent schools.
All schools (primary, secondary and special), including maintained schools, academies, free, and independent schools are requested to complete the audit, which should be approved by their governing board, trustees and poprietors. This should be returned to the NYSCP by emailing the completed audit tool in Excel format (please DO NOT convert to PDF) to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than the close of business on 31 March 2023.