Workforce Guidance: Key Messages
Questions you could ask
- Are you having thoughts of suicide/killing yourself?
- What is happening for you?
- Is this affecting you?
- What help do you need?
- What would you like to happen next?
- Do not be afraid to talk about self-harm and suicide.
- Respond in a non-judgemental way if a child/young person discloses they are self-harming or thinking of suicide.
- Do not just focus on the self-harm or suicidal intent; consider the underlying issues.
- Be clear about your own organisational policies.
- Refer on for support or speak to a specialist for advice if you are unsure about the level of risk.
- Work with other professionals to ensure relevant information is shared when appropriate.
- Remember you can play a part in keeping children/young people safe.