Campaign Briefing for Partners
What is child safety week?
Child Safety Week is the Child Accident Prevention Trust’s (CAPT’s) annual community education campaign, acting as a catalyst for thousands of safety conversations and activities UK-wide.
This year Child Safety Week takes place between Monday 5th and Sunday 11th June 2023. The theme Safety made simple highlights that accidents tend to happen when there’s lots going on, so accident prevention needs to be simple. Recognising busy and pressured lives, the campaign offers:
- Simple changes for parents and families to fit into busy routines and stop the scariest accidents.
- Simple ways for practitioners to get involved even when under pressure.
Why are we supporting child safety week?
Unintentional injuries, particularly those in and around the home, are a leading cause of preventable death for children under five years old and are a major cause of ill health and serious disability.
Although rates of hospital admission in North Yorkshire caused by unintentional injuries in children are relatively stable, they are significantly worse that the England average.
Injuries are preventable and we can do something about it – supporting Child Safety Week by sharing campaign messages with families and communities across the County is one of the actions we are taking to help address the issue locally.
Why is your support needed?
Accidents tend to happen when there’s a lot going on. Family life today is more complex than it’s ever been and often the very things that help make life more convenient bring new risks. Button batteries, child-appealing washing capsules, nappy sacks, coffee culture trends where hot drinks are served in busy coffee shops, and distraction from devices when driving or walking near busy roads can place children at risk.
If your role or your organisation’s work involves caring for families and children, either directly or indirectly, then please consider supporting Child Safety Week. Big or small, taking part in Child Safety Week will help you and the families you support to feel confident about keeping children safe.
What can you / your organisation do?
Download and share resources:
Resources to help parents:
- The Parents’ Pack offers simple changes that fit into busy family routines
- Free Printed Resources on button batteries, include flyers, posters, session plans and picture books
- Easy read Fact sheets with bite sized facts and tips on top accident risks to children.
- Translated Fact Sheets – popular fact sheets in additional languages.
Resources to help practitioners:
- The Child-Safety-Week-Information-Pack provides key information on the campaign.
- CAPT’s brand new Resource centre provides all their free educational safety resources.
- Session Plans for easy mini workshops with parents of under-fives.
- Videos on common dangers around the home
- Free Activity Sheets for children and parents
- Show your support with the supporter logo, the Child Safety Week 2023 logo, and the Safety Made Simple Poster
Stay up to date
- Visit the CAPT Child Safety Week pages, and download the Child-Safety-Week-Information-Pack to find out more and learn how you can get involved
- Sign up to free child safety emails to receive top tips, safety alerts and free downloadable resources
- Follow CAPT on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.They will be posting every day during Child Safety Week. Share their posts to help reach as many families as possible.
- Please tag CAPT in your posts (Facebook: @ChildAccidentPreventionTrust Instagram: @capt_charity Twitter: @CAPTcharity), and use #ChildSafetyWeek and #SafetyMadeSimple
- If you’d like to plan social media posts in advance CAPT’s Social Media Pack provides suggested images, text, and links. These text captions and links are provided overleaf:
Need more information?
For more information about how we are supporting Child Safety Week in North Yorkshire or to discuss in more detail how you and your organisation can get involved, please contact the Public Health Team: Sarah Dinsdale, Public Health Graduate Trainee, Email: email@example.com
Thank you in anticipation of your support for the 2023 Child Safety Week Campaign.
Ideas for social media captions from CAPT.
- (Suggested 30th May 2023) Next week we are supporting the Child Accident Prevention Trust #ChildSafetyWeek. Look out for #SafetyMadeSimple for bite-sized safety tips on the main accident risks to children. Learn more about child safety: https://capt.org.uk/resources/parents-pack/ #SafetyMadeSimple#
- (Suggested 5th June 2023) This week we’re supporting the Child Accident Prevention Trust #ChildSafetyWeek to help children lead active, healthy lives, safe from serious injury. Learn more about child safety: https://capt.org.uk/resources/parents-pack/ #SafetyMadeSimple
- This year #ChildSafetyWeek is all about sharing the really practical, simple things we can all do to keep children safe. Download the Child Accident Prevention Trust Parent’s Pack for bite-sized facts and safety tips on the main accident risks to children: https://capt.org.uk/resources/parents-pack/ #SafetyMadeSimple
Useful Links to include: